Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Badge

Loading…

Events

Inexpensive Alternative to TreadDesk Treadmill

Hey all, I've been walking/working on my treadmill desk for over 2 weeks and I'm lovin' it.  I'm so glad I took the plunge!

Here's my setup: I got an IKEA Fredrik desk off of Craigslist for free (lucky for me, it still looks brand new) and I configured it for standing height.  Then, after standing for a week, I realized my feet actually feel BETTER moving and shifting weight, so a week later, I purchased a treadmill that I've had my eye on at Amazon for a while - the Confidence Power Plus Treadmill.  I gravitated toward it because: A) It was a really inexpensive NEW electric treadmill ($239) and none of the Craigslist options looked appealing to me, B) The footprint of it is really small and would fit under my desk nicely, C) It was advertised as lightweight (I hate bulky equipment) and C) The handlebars APPEARED to be easy to disassemble completely.  The only problem was, there wasn't that much information about it, especially for treadmill desk users.  Luckily, I was confident in Amazon's return policy so I thought I'd be the guinea pig for the treadmill desk community. :)

Verdict: I couldn't be happier!  The treadmill is super light yet sturdy, very quiet, and the console is small and was easy to disassemble from the handlebars.  Check out my photo to see it - I believe it's comparable to the $820 Tread Desk treadmill, yet the speed goes as high as 10mph.  The only downside is that it automatically stops after 30 minutes, but I don't mind this " feature" and I've grown to like it very much.  It reminds me to take a little break, stretch, and tally up all of the 30 minute sessions I've done for the day.  It goes as slow as 1mph, but I've gone as fast as 3.4mph when I'm doing less intensive tasks such as surfing the web or replying to casual emails. :)

Views: 52409

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ted, that's great news! I'm glad you had a good return transaction with Golf Outlets.

Question: has anyone figured out about oiling the machine? Nothing in the instructions though it came with the oil. Seems like that might be important.

BTW, I've now moved my treadmill/desk to my office (I checked it out at home first) and it's doing great. No smells, no problems. I walk usually at 1 to 1.5. It's a hit at work. Amazing how many people have trouble sitting so long but most companies don't deal with it! I find I'm much more alert and ready to work from moving around on computer days.

Chris, If you're talking about the little white bottle that came with the Confidence, I believe that is lube for the belt. I did looked for place you can lubricate the motor, but there is no such thing. It's permanently sealed. So the lube is for the walking belt (not the motor belt)

Just learned today that Facebook provides walk stations for each of their employees, and three meals a day (perhaps vegan!). I'm hoping some of the studios in LA pick up on this trend.

<sigh>  I'm envious!  My biggest job benefit is being able to work from home, but I love it.  Even if I have to pay for my own tread desk equipment, working from home is still worth it.

Any chance you could get a picture or something to prove it. Not that I doubt what you're saying. I just think this could be  great for promotion of the idea. If Mark thinks it's a good idea, then maybe we're not crazy after all :).

Good to hear! Now if only someone could measure electricity usage :/

No issues of any jerking or slowing down at a low speed.  I walk anywhere from 1mph to 4.5mph and it's smooth sailing.

Anyone know how much electricity this uses? Contacted the company, this was their response:

I am not sure of how many watts it uses per hour but I have emailed the factory to find out. The other model that we do, the GTR uses 1100Watts per hour. 

That seems really excessive. Has anyone measured the electricity output at 1km/h, 2km/h and so on? 

Just wondering, is it OK to plug this in to a power strip? From reading online, they always say not to do this. But I assume that is only the case for bigger, more professional treadmills? (2hp and up) - this one is only 600 watt (less than 1hp).

Do you know any way to shut off the 30minute automatic shut down?

No...but like Amy it works for me. Full on work intensity for 30 minutes followed by 5 minute break for stretching, then back at it.

RSS

© 2014   Created by bdrhoa.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service